Clive Vale History
Originally the 60 acre Clive Vale Farm, the estate known as Clive Vale had grown to 140 acres by the 1880's, over twice the size of the farm it replaced.
All the buildings in Clive Vale are relatively new and date from the mid to late Victorian times when the estate was developed. Any older buildings that existed on the land previously.
Industrial buildings were not allowed on the estate, however there was exception for businesses that were considered compatible with a residential area. These included shops, laundries, hotels and pubs, which were all included in the Clive Vale development plans.
Situated in Old London Road, Hastings Lodge was built in 1827 and originally owned by Frederick North MP. His daughter Marianne inherited the house after her father's death. In 1870 she sold the land to the British Land Corporation and it became part of the Clive Vale Estate, also allowing Harold Road to be extended to run from Ore all the way to the Old Town. The lower part was previously part of Barley Lane (from Minnis Rock downwards) and was renamed Harold Road at this time.
Clive Vale Reservoirs
There are two large reservoirs in Clive Vale, the first holding 800,000 gallons was built in 1833. A second reservoir was added in 1845 (following the droughts of 1834 & 1842) holding 2,800,000 gallons. These reservoirs originally served around 600 homes in the Old Town but were of no benefit to the Clive Vale residents who had to rely on wells for water supply at the time.
Francis Thompson's House
Situated on Saxon Road, Francis Thompson built his own house in the Italianate style with a low pitched roof in 1886. This property is similar in looks to the White Rock Pavilion and Judges Postcards building on Bexhill Road, however it was built some 50 years earlier. Francis Thompson was Robert Stephenson's architect and had previously worked for the North Midlands Railways and designed many stations in Canada as well as the Canadian Parliament Building.
This road was built in 1886 on the route of a former footpath that went across the Clive Vale Brickyard. The Brickyard is thought to pre-date 1642 when there is the first record of it being mentioned.
Edmund Road follows the route of what was originally a footpath to Fairlight.
This was originally called Grove Road, but when Ore was absorbed as part of Hastings it was renamed as the same name already existed. Grove Road took its name from Grove House.
Ashburnham Road / Harold Road / Godwin Road
This area was approved for development in 1871 after the purchase of land previously owned by Frederick North MP. Many of the buildings date from around 1873 to 1877.