History of The Brassey Institute
Situated at 13 Claremont, The Brassey Institute is a lovely example of decorative Venetian Gothic architecture. Designed by Walter Liberty Vernon for Thomas Brassey during his period as MP for Hastings and built in 1878.
The building originally housed a reference library on the ground floor, an assembly room on first floor and a school of art and science on the upper floors. Accommodation for the Hastings Rowing Club was provided in the basement and there was also a suite of rooms for the proprietor.
Lord Brassey opened a free public library in the Institute in 1881, and donated ownership of the whole building, along with a School of Art to Hastings Council in 1887.
The Brassey Institute was awarded Grade II listed building status in 1987, along with the adjoining former FJ Parsons / Observer print works.
The building is still used as the Hastings Public Library today.